Grayson's surgery

Grayson had surgery at the beginning of this month. He was born with Grade 5 kidney reflux (so his urine would back up into his kidneys and cause infection). He had his first UTI at 2 weeks old which was super scary. He had surgery at 3 weeks old to open a spot in his belly called a vesicostomy. Thankfully he did not have another UTI after that surgery, which was amazing. Kids with kidney reflux typically get a lot of UTIs and it can be difficult to manage. Caring for a kid with a vesicostomy and who was considered medically complex was hard. Grayson was hospitalized a second time in January for a persistent fever, probably a virus. It definitely gave me a different perspective and taught me to be thankful for how healthy my kids have all been!

So the surgery that Grayson had this month was to reimplant his ureters and close the opening the doctor had made a year ago. The success rate of this procedure is very high and should take care of the issue for Grayson. I am so thankful that we had access to such awesome doctors and that his condition was spotted so early on before significant damage to his kidneys could occur.

The best way I know to share about Grayson's latest surgery is through pictures and what I wrote on Instagram during that time...

Grayson woke up to nurse and Eli came into my room saying he'd wet the bed at about the same minute. So I laughed to keep from crying. Grayson cried while I stripped down Eli's bed but thankfully now he has stopped. So we are pacing the living room to the best of the washing machine. And the sone from my childhood pops into my head "I'll cast all my cares upon you. I lay all of my burdens down at your feet, and anytime I don't know what to do I will cast all my cares upon you." and I'm thankful. Thankful that Grayson isn't crying. Thankful for a God who bears my burdens when I don't have the strength. Thankful that I don't have to live beneath the crushing weight of it all for even a minute. Even as I'm holding onto Grayson as we pace this living room floor, God is holding on to me. He is good. He is God. He has got me.
A photo posted by faith raider (@faithraider) on




Grayson waiting to go back to surgery. It was so hard to leave him. He was screaming, I was crying.
It is one of the worst things I have experienced as a mom.




Grayson's recovery nurse, also a friend of mine. Such a comfort!
 




A photo posted by faith raider (@faithraider) on

I feel like today has been the hardest day of recovery. Grayson was a restless little sleeper last night and instead of waking up smiling like yesterday he woke up crying. He is off of his IV and medicine routine and is on an "as needed" basis but he has needed them. A lot. It's so sad to see him cry and be so uncomfortable. We just had to pull out the big guns and I was really hoping to be feeling closer to ready to head home. So - good news: all of his vitals are looking awesome and he is down to just the pulse/ox monitor and one little tube to drain any fluids away from his surgery site. Yay for being slightly less tethered. That was miserable. Still waiting: for his output and input to normalize. He's nursing well and has eaten a little but we're still waiting on a normal diaper. So yeah, I think that's it! Thanks to everybody who has surrounded us help us through this tough this. 💜💜💜
A photo posted by faith raider (@faithraider) on

A photo posted by faith raider (@faithraider) on



Grayson had to be on round the clock pain medicine for a few days but he gradually needed less and less. By a week plus a day or two post-op he was already totally off of his medicines and has been super happy! He's started walking this week. He's been such a fast crawler that he wasn't interested in walking for awhile but now he has started to really get the hang of it.

A photo posted by faith raider (@faithraider) on

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts