day 9: brave when I feel invisible

Today I want to change the order of things just a bit and give you a song to listen to first before you read today's post. I have been listening to it pretty much non stop today.

Listen: Cecie's Lullaby Steffany Gretzinger



Yesterday I began writing about Hagar, today I want to talk about what it means to find my brave when I feel ... invisible.

On the one hand, I find it impossible to relate to the details of Hagar's story. She was a foreigner, a slave, she was a concubine, she fled an abusive mistress. All things I can not relate to even a little bit, but I can relate to the idea of being in the wilderness. Here are some words I used yesterday:

Isolated
Vulnerable
Lack of direction and focus
Despairing, distracted,
Lack

I might not know what it means to be a slave or a foreigner or abused but I know what it feels like to feel isolated and vulnerable. I know what it feels like to lack direction and focus. I know what it feels like to wander around feeling at the end of my rope with no hope, and I know what it feel like to feel invisible. Like nobody hears me and nobody cares. 

However the promise we have in Christ is that He is our abundance, He makes streams in the desert, His spirit is the LivingWell of water within us. He gives my life purpose, direction and perspective. He is my Daddy-God who sees me even when I feel invisible. He is the God who sees me. 

Read: Genesis 16:7-15

How does Hagar respond to this heavenly messenger? (v13)
Her knowledge of God may have been very minimal and possibly strongly influenced by the culture she was born into, but what does she learn about God from this encounter? 


Additional verses:


Isaiah 30:15,18, 20-21

15This is what the Sovereign Lord, the Holy One of Israel, says:
“In repentance and rest is your salvation,
in quietness and trust is your strength.

18Yet the Lordlongs to be gracious to you;
therefore he will rise up to show you compassion.
For the Lordis a God of justice.
Blessed are all who wait for him!

20Although the Lord gives you the bread of adversity 
and the water of affliction, 
your teachers will be hidden no more; 
with your own eyes you will see them. 
21Whether you turn to the right or to the left, 
your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, 
“This is the way; walk in it.”

If you haven't already read it please go back to day 3 and read that post - the song on that post is actually really perfect for this content too. 

Have you enjoyed this series? Sign up for my newsletter to get updates and freebies!

Comments

Popular Posts